Thursday, June 27, 2013

" i feel good, wo,i feel nice, like sugar and spice. so nice, so nice, i got you. wo, i feel good.... well, on most days anyway." apologies to james brown and " i feel good"

my desktop crashed! i have been out of the blog-o-sphere, as my husband calls it, for a while. i am using the laptop while the desktop is in the hospital. i have to admit that i am a little old fashioned here. i like a big ole desktop- big screen, good sized, REAL keyboard." i pads" or tablets  do not interest me, and when i got this laptop a couple of years ago, i got the one with the biggest screen. still, it is not the same.......that said, here is what i found out about brand name synthroid.

i feel pretty darn good. my levoxyl really had "potency" problems, because it got to the point that i could not go. i have had much more energy on the synthroid compared to the levoxyl. i can get through my work days with a little juice left over for chores, a walk,etc. my hair is still coming out- i started losing it again a few months ago. my hairdresser pointed it out to me, but jeez, i had already noticed it. not just after i wash my hair, but also on my clothes and the back of the couch. this is a really disturbing problem associated with thyroid disease. and i really do not think that there is a good solution for this problem.  i have purchased a multi-vitamin( could not hurt, probably will not help) and have sworn to lay my flat iron down for a while. i have also purchased an organic shampoo and conditioner, which will probably be milder and easier on my hair. i had a problem with my hair right after my surgery and I-131 treatment. things got better, but they are back. i am hoping that my thyroid levels will improve, and my hair will stay put for a while.

i felt good enough to go to zumba wednesday!! hooray!! i had a really good time. it actually makes my knees feel better when i go. i warm up and cool down on the recumbent bicycle and modify any moves that i know will injure my knees( i am familiar with almost all of them at this point). sometimes a girl just has to do a jumping jack, you know? but i have really hurt my knees before doing those, so i try to just shake my belly scarf or something when we are supposed to do those. exercise really does help my mood, as well as my body. but if you are too tired to go, it is hard to drag yourself to class. i feel like the synthroid has helped me on this.

i know that there are some who feel that naturally sourced thyroid hormone is better. i used to take armour thyroid, and it seemed to work for a while. this was before i knew that i had cancer, so it was a few years ago. my endo was willing to go along with this, which i appreciate. my family doctor told me i was crazy for taking it, but i continued it until i felt that it was not working for me. the company reformulated the drug a few years ago, and that is when i noticed a change in how i felt.

i think that the question of " natural" versus "synthetic " should best be answered by the patient. i think that this is an individual decision, and the patient should decide, along with the doctor's input, which one is right for them. i support either decision, and feel that there is no right or wrong choice in this issue.

so, if i could sing, i guess you could say that i am singing the praises of synthroid, as much as i hate to admit it. for me, it has been a good choice. i feel better, have more energy, and if my hair issue is resolved, i will be a happy camper, as they say. if armour,etc, work best for you, then good for you. the most important thing is that we are being treated with the correct medicine for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment