Monday, March 12, 2012

"i need love, love to ease my mind. i need to find someone to call mine. but mama says, you can't hurry love. she said, you just have to wait. she said, love don't come easy, it's a game of give and take. you can't hurry love, no. you just have to wait. you got to trust, give it time. NO MATTER HOW LONG IT TAKES!" can't hurry love, by diana ross and the supremes

 i had my first physical therapy session last wednesday. it was sort of a" getting to know" you kind  of thing. what impressed me though, was that  the physical therapist, after a few tests of her own, came to the exact same conclusion as my doctor ( and he had the MRI and x-ray to look at). she said that i have done some damage to the meniscus in my right knee, but also that i have a lot of swelling and inflammation behind my right knee cap. ( this is new information and probably explains why it still hurts so much). she said that if i were to go right back to zumba that i would probably injure my knee enough to have to have surgery. i told her that i was worried that i would embarrass myself by falling. i also was worried about taking another person with me if i fell. zumba usually is not a contact sport, per se, but i have accidentally hit someone, and i have been hit myself. when that music gets cranked up and people start moving, well, it is to be expected, i guess.

she gave me a sheet with six exercises to practice at home. i am sad to report that  i have lost a lot of muscle mass in my right knee area. i did not know this, but a person can begin to lose muscle mass/tone in only three days after an injury! i was used to doing an hour of zumba and 20 minutes of standing abs anywhere from once to three times a week. you would think that i was in pretty good shape? used to be i guess because i broke out in a sweat trying to do those simple exercises! wow, how embarrassing. i really have a long and winding road back to zumba, for sure. after a couple of weeks, i get to use the rehab exercise equipment in the wellness center. i guess that this will be a recumbent bicycle and maybe the treadmill? I WILL JUST HAVE TO WAIT. oh brother, i am not good at waiting. i am missing my zumba/endorphins but i will have to be patient. i am thankful though, that i have a very good physical therapist, who wants me to get better and back to ( her words i promise) my normal. 


here we go with the catch phrase, "the new normal", again. i can not help but think of the movie( my favorite) "young frankenstein." gene wilder sends igor into the brain depository to get a brain for his creature. igor drops the one he is supposed to get, and gets another one. when things turn out horribly wrong with the creature, gene wilder asks igor just what brain he got.. igor says, "abby something" " abby something? " gene asks. igor says  "yes, i remember now, her name was "abby normal." that cracks me up every time i see that scene. (and trust me, i have seen it a lot). i am feeling a little abby normal myself right now. oh, well, i will just have to wait. you can not hurry physical therapy or your stubborn knee.

No comments:

Post a Comment