Monday, January 9, 2023

Self Care for thyroid cancer patients

 As thyroid cancer patients, we have all certainly been through a lot! Surgeries, radioactive treatments, biopsies- in fact we still go through a lot trying to maintain our health. Constant dosage adjustments with our thyroid medications so that we can feel somewhat " normal", blood work to monitor thyroglobulins ( a predictor of  possible thyroid cancer recurrence) , ultrasounds to check for thyroid cancer spread ( I call them goblins), and for me, at least, the search for a physician who will listen to how I am feeling and is willing to work with me cooperatively to maintain good health. And this is just a partial list, but certainly does help explain why thyroid cancer is NOT the good cancer!

I think that a balance of self care along with medical care is essential to good health. As we enter into a new year, it is a good idea to think about what things that we might do to improve our health and well being. The following is a list of some basic self care therapies, as well as an abbreviated explanation of how these therapies might work. While these therapies would work well for anyone,  I think that since the thyroid gland (  ours now gone missing!) controls so many of our bodily functions, self care is even more essential for those of us who have/have had thyroid cancer. 

1) Sleep. Adults are supposed to get 7 to 9 hours of good quality sleep per night. Some of the benefits of this are: better memory ( even more important as we age), better performance, lower weight gain risk( the postulated reason for this is that sleep deprivation is associated with an increase in the hormone that causes us to be hungry), reduced salt retention, reduced fatigue, better control of blood pressure by the body, and a stronger immune system. 

2) Strengthening our immune system is very important. Over 70% of our immunity is in our gut. Getting enough sleep allows our gut to get maximum nutrient absorption. Also, our gut houses the largest number of immune cells in the body. Limiting caffeine intake or large meals near bedtime allows our gut to rest and process the nutrients in the food that we eat. Which leads us to #3...

3) Eat a healthy diet! I think most people know what a healthy diet entails. But to summarize, more chicken and fish, less red meat, more fruits and vegetables, less sugar and caffeine, etc., As I mentioned above, I think the time of day that we eat is important, also. Eating an early supper lets our intestines rest, as well as having a positive effect on sleep. Win-win.

4) Exercise. Well, this is difficult to do sometimes. But exercise can reduce stress and anxiety as well as promote weight loss. Even if it is just a nice walk outside, it is very beneficial to schedule some exercise on a regular basis. Since fluctuations in thyroid medications can cause mood swings ( I know this personally!) exercise can become a non-medicated way of helping us feel better. 

5) Increase water consumption. This is so very important, folks. Adequate water intake can: help us maintain our electrolyte balance and good blood pressure, lubricate our joints, regulate our body temperature, help us keep our cells healthy,  help our brain function, aid our food digestion, improve blood oxygen circulation, help prevent kidney stones and urinary tract infections, keep our skin hydrated and may promote collagen production, and ( my personal favorite) help create saliva ! ( water is the main component of saliva) One way that is helpful to me is to use my water canteen and refill it as much as I can during the day. I carry it around the house with me and also put it on my bedside table at night. Also, I drink water with each meal. 

6) Learn to say no! Everyone deserves a little "me" time. Take a warm bath, read a book ( my personal favorite), go see a good movie, etc., Also good for one's mental health. 

7) Make friendships. I just saw a report on this and how long term friendships promote happiness. It does take time and work, but definitely worth the payoff. 

8) Go outside. Nature is the best healer. Take a walk, take deep breaths, On your walk outside you could also...

9) Take a pet with you. Studies have shown that dogs can cause humans to release oxytocin- the happiness and love hormone. So having a pet, especially a dog, is good for your health. 

10) Organize your home and work space ( as much as you can). I know that I feel much more relaxed and happy when my home is organized. Of course, small children and pets put some limits on this(!), but do what you can.

11) Cooking meals at home- even once a week- is not only good family time, but a thoughtful and healthy  meal at home is better than a" McMeal" any day. 

12) Practice deep breathing. This can help reduce stress, lower blood pressure, lessen PTSD symptoms, increase lung function- thereby enabling the lungs to clear out toxins and deliver oxygen into the blood stream more efficiently. There are videos out there that can help one learn deep breathing techniques. I have been working on this for a while now. When I had my knee revision surgery, I had been practicing deep breathing a few months before the surgery so that my body could clear out the anesthesia more effectively. And it worked for me. Deep breathing also helps to calm me during stressful situations. This sounds so simple, but it really works, if done properly and consistently. 

Of course, there are many more things one could do for good self care. What I have listed here are just a few that interest me. I hope that by practicing these or other positive techniques, we thyroid cancer patients ( and others) can live better, healthier, and happier lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment