Monday, July 11, 2022

This is a good news- bad news post, or one could call it a " cautionary tale".

It has been a while since I posted a blog! Summer has been a busy, but unusual one for me. I have had the pleasure of taking care of our grandchildren, two of them while their parents took a vacation, and at times, all four! This has been enjoyable, but let's just say that I am not as young as I used to be. I certainly was ready for a rest after they returned home. I was and still am dealing with some health issues... but first the good news. 

After several tries, I have finally found an endocrinologist who will listen to me. When I write " be your own best patient advocate" I truly mean it. It took me four tries to find someone who had a similar way of practicing- as compared to my long time endocrinologist who recently retired. I had almost given up on finding someone that would be a good fit for me. But I persevered, as the saying goes. My new endocrinologist actually listened to what I had to say- how I am feeling and my expectations for treatment going forward. He upped my dose on the thyroid hormone I am taking, and I feel much better. I can actually get through the day without taking a nap- which has been useful this summer especially. ( Not all of my grandchildren nap)  This is the good news I wanted to write about. Now, for the bad news...

Some of us who have had thyroid cancer, or possibly, have a thyroid condition  ( Hashimoto's, etc) can be somewhat immunocompromised. That is to say that our immune systems do not function as well as they do in a healthy person. I feel very fortunate that I have not had, so far at least , Covid. I have had all vaccines and booster shots and have worn a KN-95 mask when I go shopping. I have been as careful as I can be, but I feel like a little luck may be involved at this point.

What I unfortunately have had, and still have, is shingles. The main reason that I wrote this blog is to strongly encourage thyroid cancer patients 50 years and older to get the shingles vaccine. Shingles has been very painful for me and if by sharing this information I can prevent even one person from getting shingles, I will be happy. Shingles generally lasts from 3 to 5 weeks, although it can last for months. I have had shingles for 3 weeks now, and I am not over this yet. I have it on my scalp, eyebrow, forehead, and here is the tricky part- in one of  my eyes. I have been going to the ophthalmologist once or twice a week since my diagnosis. I first went to urgent care, and then was instructed to go immediately to my ophthalmologist if my eye became itchy, red or painful. Luckily, I got an early diagnosis, and was able to start on the anti-viral tablets and an eye ointment to help a little with the itching. 

The old shingles vaccine was only from 30 to 50 % effective. The new vaccine, called Shingrix, is over 90 % effective. It is a two shot vaccine, the second vaccine is administered six months after the first one. Since it is possible for me to have shingles again in the future, I am going to get the vaccine just as soon as I recover from  having shingles. From what I have read, I should be able to get the vaccine in 4 to 6 months from now. It is also possible to go into your neighborhood pharmacy to get your shingles vaccine. One does not need to go to the doctor to get this vaccine unless one wants to do that.

While it is extremely important to get our Covid vaccines and boosters, I think, it is just as important to get other vaccines as scheduled. It is also important to get our recommended  screening tests such as mammograms and colonoscopies. We all want to be as healthy as possible. Getting our vaccines and screening tests are like maintenance for our bodies. 

Please learn from my mistake! As my new endocrinologist said, "Health professionals are sometimes the worst patients. They take care of their patients but neglect to take care of themselves." So if you qualify for the shingles vaccine, please get it as soon as you can. If one has had chicken pox as a child, one has the virus in the body. Stress usually causes the virus to become active and the resulting cause could be a case of shingles. We all have a lot of stress to deal with. Be smart- get your shingles vaccine.


No comments:

Post a Comment