Friday, October 4, 2019

After almost eight weeks, I have the results from my Breast Cancer Index Test...

This is another example of what I always say about the importance of  being your " own best patient advocate". I have been on pins and needles, sort of, while I have been  waiting for the results of my Breast Cancer Index Test.( BCI). My oncologist told me that it would take about six weeks to get the test results back to his office. I asked for a copy of the report, and my physician said that was fine, but that he would call me when my test results came back. Six weeks came and went. I decided to wait a week or so more, perhaps he was on vacation? before I called the office. Finally, after almost eight weeks and no call from my doctor's office, I called and left a message on the nurses voicemail. I waited a couple more days and called again. Finally, yesterday, the oncology nurse called me. The nurse told me that they had had to " run my results down". I guess the test result must have been a fast runner. I am not sure when the race to get my test result would have begun had I not called my oncologist. I have been in health care for over 40 years. I know that things get lost, despite our best efforts. I was not angry,  just glad that I called and took action.

Before I spill the beans, I will expound a little on the BCI test. It is a test that analyzes the activity of seven genes;  unlike the seven dwarfs, I do not know the names of these genes. However, by looking at these genes, one can predict the risk of lymph node negative, hormone receptor positive breast cancers coming back ( recurring) in 5 to 10 years after an initial diagnosis. This test can be a huge factor in helping a woman and her physician decide if it would be beneficial to continue the estrogen blocking drugs for ten years total, instead of five. I have also read that the BCI test may be useful in determining if chemotherapy is appropriate. The BCI was not available to me when my oncologist and I had to discuss my chemotherapy. My oncologist recommended that I have the chemotherapy, due to the number of tumors that I had, their size, the fact that I had two distinct areas of breast cancer, and the unfortunate fact that the invasive lobular breast cancer that I had been diagnosed with can spread without lymph node involvement. I should mention here, that unless something has changed, this test is not yet approved by the U.S. FDA. That does not mean that it is not a reliable test, or that oncologists are not using it, it just means that the BCI test just needs more research- which I am sure is being done.

One interesting thing to me about the BCI test is that it is performed on the frozen tissue that was removed either during biopsy or surgery. That means no additional sticking or prodding the patient. That is pretty important to any cancer patient- we have to  get a lot of testing and blood work done, so one less invasive procedure is important.

Why would one want to discontinue the estrogen blocking drugs after five years and not ten? Well, if you are like me, the side effects (bone and joint pain, difficulty sleeping, nausea, fatigue, dizziness, dry skin, cough, and the list goes on and on) need to be weighed against a good quality of life. If it would seem from the test that there is no benefit from an additional five years, then I am on the " stop the medicine" train.

There is a range of scores, as determined by the study of the activity of those seven little genes, and it goes like this: a score of  0 to 5,  means the cancer is classified as having a LOW risk of a late recurrence( meaning returning within 5 to 10 years of initial diagnosis) and a score of 5.1 to 10 means that there is a HIGH risk of a late recurrence of the cancer. If one gets a 5.1 score or above, then it would be beneficial to continue the estrogen blocking drug for the 10 years. Estrogen blocking drugs are very effective- preventing recurrence from 95 to 97% of the time. But they come with a lot of side effects, as I noted. And one must consider the quality of life, as I also noted.

Drum roll please! My score was 2.7. The oncology nurse said that my doctor felt pretty confident that I would  be able to stop my Letrozole( estrogen blocking drug- sometimes classified as chemotherapy) in August of 2020. I can tolerate the side effects of this drug knowing that the end is in sight, ha! I will be receiving a written copy of my test in the mail soon. Of course, if I do not receive it in a reasonable amount of time, I will call my oncologist's office. They can always " run it down" again.

No comments:

Post a Comment