Wednesday, August 25, 2021

After care following surgery and treatment for thyroid cancer-AKA, " what do I do now?"

 There are a lot of decisions to be made after one gets a cancer diagnosis. This is primarily a thyroid cancer blog, obviously, but I am a breast cancer survivor, too. A person with any type of cancer experiences the same challenges after the diagnosis and treatment phases of cancer are completed, in my opinion. For me, it was like a freight train rolling down the track. Once my cancer had been diagnosed, my "medical team" sprung into action with a plan for surgery and the best treatment for my type of cancer. I went along for the ride with the best doctors, surgeons, nurses, and other medical staff that I could find. I have been in remission from stage three papillary with follicular variant thyroid cancer for eleven years now. I have also been in remission from invasive lobular, stage 2B breast cancer for six years. For me, the medical part of my treatment as been a success ( so far!). But what has been missing for me, as well as other patients, I think, has been the after care. 

By after care, I mean complementary therapies. This is not to be confused with alternative therapies, which are unproven and would actually take the place of proven medical treatments for cancer. I certainly do NOT recommend using unproven alternative therapies to treat any kind of cancer. 

You may be asking " what are complementary therapies and why are they important?" Again, I will use myself as an example. After my diagnosis, surgery, and treatment for thyroid cancer, and later for breast cancer, stopped, I felt very alone. The medical staff had done their best to provide the care that I needed to survive the cancer, but the help that I needed to thrive after the cancer(s) was missing. When I was undergoing the medical treatments, surgery, chemotherapy, reconstruction ( breast cancer) everything was so regimented. Everything was mapped out for me and I knew exactly what I was supposed to do at all times. This "regimented life" came to a screaming halt- the freight train had applied the brakes, and I was asked to get off at my destination. 

With all of the medical stuff behind me, I was expected to go on with my life and thrive. How? Things had changed dramatically for me. I felt different, looked different and had no idea how to proceed. I was still in the "processing the information" stage of my cancer, and my medical team had just left me at the station. Alone. 

If one lives in a large city, there are holistic health care measures that are offered to cancer patients. I am a firm believer in treating the whole individual, not just the area where the cancer happens to be hanging out. I live in a small town that does not offer very much in the way of after care. I have done a little research on my own, and was able to find a few complementary therapies that have improved the quality of my life after cancer. I would like to share them with you...

1) Boost one's immune system. That is especially important now, during the Covid crisis. Getting vaccinated with the Covid vaccine, as well as getting a yearly flu shot is extremely important. Wear a mask! This has helped me avoid viral and bacterial infections when I have to go to the doctor's office or the grocery store, I think. Exercise, eating a balanced diet and getting enough sleep are also important.

2) Schedule a massage. A little tricky now, but as soon as it is safe, a massage is very relaxing. A massage can improve circulation, improve lymphatic function, soothe aches and pains, reduce edema, and reduce anxiety. 

3) Practice Qi Gong ( pronounced " ch'i kung). This is the practice of continuous flow of certain movements along with breathing exercises. This will actually increase the flow of oxygen in the body. I really like this exercise. It is like a dance, with controlled, precise movements. It is similar to Tai Chi, which also is helpful in regaining one's balance. I have not been able to take a class in person, but I have found some online instruction. I am sure there are some DVD's available for those who are interested. 

4) Yoga. Good for stretching and balance. I personally do not like this, to be honest. I like the idea of this, but my body does not. Still, this is a very good exercise for any age group, and can be modified to fit the needs of people with different health  and medical conditions. 

5) Meditation. When most people think of this, they think of someone sitting for hours, legs crossed, fingers touching ,etc. That is fine, but there are other forms of what you could call active meditation. The goal here is to quiet the mind and just be. These active forms would include listening to music, taking a walk outside in the fresh air, reading a good book, doing crafts, dancing, exercising, bird watching, and  many other things that would allow one to get the mind off of one's cancer and rest. 

6). Manage fatigue. Thyroid cancer patients sure have a lot of fatigue to manage! Our energy regulator is gone, and we must rely on our medications to do the job for us. (!) Fatigue is one of the most reported and challenging symptoms for any cancer patient  after surgery. Some of the fatigue is probably caused by the stress patients feel before the surgery, testing anxiety, changes in lifestyle, and challenges in dealing with family and friends. Our bodies are also dealing and adjusting to the removal of our thyroid glands, lymph nodes and surrounding tissues. Rest is the obvious solution, but not always the easiest one. Go to bed early, take short naps during the day if possible, limit errands or spread them out to different days. Learn to say " NO". A hard one for me, but it is very important now to not take on too many activities. Learn to ask for help. Also difficult for me, but if one does not ask, other people can not be expected to know how overwhelmed a patient might be feeling. 

I have always had to deal with anxiety. Having thyroid and breast cancer have only made this anxiety worse. For those who do not know the possible symptoms of anxiety, and they are different for every individual, they include: a rush of adrenaline( or the flight or fight syndrome) and this can come on suddenly without warning; increased heart rate- pounding, racing, or skipping; excessive sweating or cold chills; vertigo symptoms- extreme dizziness, problems with balance, nausea and/or vomiting; hyperventilating; difficulty breathing or a choking or smothering sensation; a lump in the throat; a sense of danger or impending doom. And this is just a partial list of the symptoms that can be caused by anxiety. I urge those who have heart symptoms, or if this is a new condition for you, please check with your physician to make sure that your heart function is normal. 

There are medications to treat anxiety, of course, but studies have found that actually " talk therapy", with a trained therapist may be just as effective as medication for most patients. Having  anxiety is nothing to be ashamed about. It is important to address this issue, and seek out positive ways to treat/deal with this mental health problem. 

So, to summarize, our wonderful physicians, surgeons, etc.  have handled the" medical part" of our cancer treatment. Unless we are offered holistic care, it is up to us to be our own best  patient advocate  and address the after care. It is important to seek out good after care so that we, as cancer patients, can have the best possible quality of life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment