Thursday, March 26, 2020

Isolation behavior after I-131 administration and Isolation during the Covid-19 pandemic

My husband and I have been in self imposed, you might say, isolation during the Covid-19 pandemic. During this isolation, my thoughts have returned to the time, about nine years ago, when I was in strict quarantine after I had my treatment dose of radioactive iodine ( RAI, or I-131) for thyroid cancer. Of course there are a lot of differences, such as my quarantine after the I-131 dose had a predetermined ending, unlike the pandemic we are all facing today. There are some things that are similar, though. I have found myself thinking about my quarantine after the I-131, which is something that I have not thought about too much until now. I would like to share some of the things that I did, and thought about during that time. I want to mention here that this experience is different for every thyroid cancer patient who receives a treatment dose of the I-131 after surgery. The guidelines as to dietary restrictions before and after the dose  are still pretty much the same, but quarantine time and protocol seem to have changed in the almost nine years since I got my orders. And just so you know, would I still have  gotten the I-131 dose knowing that I would have breast cancer five years later, and salivary gland stones/issues as an on ongoing issue following my  treatment? Well, the answer is yes. In my case, my doctors and I felt the RAI dose was warranted- considering the aggressive nature of my thyroid cancer. What I WOULD have done,had I  had access to a crystal ball, would have been to try to get the radiologist to administer a lower dose. From the studies that I have read currently, the chance of complications from the I-131 seem to occur when the dose goes over 150 millicurries. My dose was 155 millicuries.

My radiologist told me to start my low iodine diet two weeks before my I-131 treatment. I was also to stay on the diet for 48 hours after the administration of the RAI. Due to multiple food allergies, caused by my cancer ( according to the information that I received from my allergist) I was used to being on a limited diet. I have read that some people " cheat" or are tempted to, while on the diet. The diet is very restricted, and I purchased a very good book, " The Low Iodine Cookbook" by Norene Gilletz, to help me with food choices. I should also add that one can go to the Thyca.org website for information and recipes.I was way too scared to cheat! I felt that I would be cheating myself ( what if the cancer returned?) and whatever food I was lusting about would just not be worth it in the long run.

I will list some of the things that I did prior to isolation, and I was fortunate that we live in a two story house so that I could occupy the top floor, while my husband stayed on the ground floor. I purchased disposable eating utensils, a plastic mattress cover for the bed upstairs, along with sheets, towels, and even an outfit or two of clothes that would all be discarded after my isolation time was over. I had a small refrigerator upstairs that I stocked with sour lemonade and water. I had disposable gloves that I wore when I came downstairs( when my husband was away at work) and plastic bags that I used to cover the couch or chair that I used. I purchased trial size shampoo, toothpaste,etc. items that could be thrown away. I made a large batch of LID granola and blueberry muffins ( so good that I use the same recipe today!). Luckily, my husband is a very good cook. He prepared our supper, put mine on the bottom of the steps and ran like hell while I retrieved the food. Actually, my husband sat in the dining room, and I sat at the top of the stairs so that we could " dine together."


I had to drive myself over to the hospital ( an hour away) get my I-131 dose. My husband was not allowed to be in the car with me, because the radiologist said that I had about an hour before I was technically " radioactive" and a danger to others.  When I got to the hospital, I was placed in a small room and given a bottle of water. The radiology technician came into the room, dressed in full Hazmat gear- mask, gloves, suit- the works, and set a small lead lined container down on the table in front of me. She said to swallow the capsule( about the size of a tylenol gel cap) as fast as I could. I was not to let it linger in my mouth before swallowing it. She said to wait until she had left the room before I opened the box. Wow. The medicine was in a small vial in the middle of the lead lined container. I left the hospital and made my way home as quickly as possible ( remember, I only had an hour before I "lit up".)  I had to make it quickly up the stairs to my isolation room. My radiologist also told me not to go outside for two days. I joked and said, " What, will the birds fall dead out of the trees?" He did not laugh. Either my joke was not funny or it was true...

Another challenge for me was the fact that I had to return to the hospital in two days to get a blood test for thyroglobulins. I was told to ask the medical technician who would be drawing my blood if she was pregnant. I was also told to stay AT LEAST six feet away from anyone else in the hospital. ( Does this  sound familiar?). I met a person from housekeeping in the long winding hall to the lab. I backed up near the wall, not too near as I feared I would leave a radioactive trail. But  by the expression on the face of  the man from housekeeping, he must have thought that I was an escapee from the locked psychiatric ward. I made it to the lab, and I was hoping for an older person or a man who would be drawing my blood sample. The medical technician was a young woman of childbearing age. Before I sat down I blurted out : " ARE YOU PREGNANT??" She subconsciously smoothed down her scrub top and said, " Well, no. I have a four year old and have not lost my pregnancy weight yet." Great job, I thought. You have just pissed off a person coming at you  with a very large needle. I quickly explained that I had been told to ask that question for her safety, and since I thought she was certainly young enough to be of childbearing age, I had to ask the question. I am not sure who was more relieved to hear that explanation, but she ended up thanking me for being concerned for her safety.

The first day of my isolation was the most difficult. I was sick from the I-131- nausea, throat soreness, both of my arms turned red and hot for a few days ( not sure about that weird side effect) but I was lonely and scared most of all. Fear of the unknown. Wanting a hug from my husband, but knowing that it would not be possible. Not being able to see my children. Not being able to be around my dog or cat. My pets certainly did not understand the reason for that, but I followed the instructions that the radiologist gave me. By the end of the two weeks, I had adjusted somewhat. I could take a walk outside after the two days were up ( the birds were safe,ha)- just not with my husband or my dog. But as I said, my isolation had an end. And there was a celebration afterwards- dinner with my family, and lots of hugs all around.

This time, there is no set end to social distancing, self isolation, quarantine- whatever method one is having to follow. I am extremely lucky to have my husband with me. I have my dogs for walks and hugs. I think that the people I feel most sorry for are the people who are in isolation alone. Loneliness is probably the worst, followed by fear that perhaps a loved one or you yourself may contract the Covid-19. Let me mention here that we as thyroid cancer patients probably have a weaker immune system ( just my opinion) and should be extra careful about exposure.This virus has changed the way we live now, and probably will greatly impact how we do things going forward. I have practiced gratitude in my life since I have had cancer. I try not to take anything for granted. I appreciate loved ones, and I take solace in nature. Please stay safe and well everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment